Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sorry I'm late, I was masturbating on an anthill...

So yeah, got a little caught up doing shit today, didn't quite get a chance to sit down and vomit out some random stream of consciousness about whatever's up my ass at the moment just yet.  Don't worry, I'm on it though.

Tonight some of my friends are attending the 8th grade graduations for their kids.  Well, technically, by now they've already attended, had dinner afterwards and come home.  That's pretty wild, not just because it makes me think Shannon and I could have a kid graduating 8th grade right now, or hell, about to be a sophomore in high school if we were really stupid about it, but because it reminds me of when I graduated 8th grade.  Even though it seems like a forever ago, there are weird things I remember about those times.

I remember "It Takes Two" by Rob Bass and E-Z Rock played at literally every dance, and also, practically no one danced at any dance until the year was almost over.  Boy those during the day 8th grade dances sure were fun!  Boys all lined up on one side of the cafeteria, girls on the other.  Only time we mingled is when we went to get a glass of the awesome punch that had rainbow sherbet ice cream in it.  The handful us who were actually "couples" would dance together, but everyone else just sat, staring at each other, like there might be a violent and explosive chemical reaction if we got too close.  By "Handful of us" I don't mean I was included in that group, I was kryptonite to bitches.  I was in that section carefully watching from the other side, waiting to see if anyone getting too close would cause an electric arc or some weird magical melding, like the Skeksis and Gelflings at the end of The Dark Crystal.

I kind of remember my 8th grade graduation, but not really.  In general I hated elementary school.  It was an awkward and embarrassing time for me.  For that matter, I wasn't much a fan of high school either until I was almost out.  Surprising as it may sound, I wasn't always the funny, witty and irresistibly likable guy you see before you today.  As much as I hated those years, they definitely made me the guy I am today, so I can't regret them or wish I could do them over.  Were it not for the horrible shit I endured, I might be some shallow, uninteresting bag of douche today, so really I feel lucky!  Ok, that's bullshit, but whatever, it sounds motivational.

At any rate, it's crazy and amazing that people I can still remember walking in our red and white gowns with are now watching their kids walk, some in the same Riverdale Elementary red & white, some in the colors of other schools in other cities.  Age is a funny thing.  You turn around for a second and it creeps up on you.  I don't feel old, I don't know if I ever will.  Maybe when I break a hip, or watch my kid graduate 8th grade.  Probably because both of those things will happen when I'm 70.

Life's a trip man.  If it ever stops being one, I think I'm bailing on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment