Tuesday, October 25, 2011

5 Movies I Can't Wait to See

Last weekend, I went to see Paranormal Activity 3.  Yes, it was a good movie and yes, all the articles and reviews about it that bitch about the movie having almost none of the scenes from the trailers in it are accurate, but it was still just as entertaining and creepy as the last 2 and, to an extent, even a little bit scarier.  However, as I was watching the trailers, I realized there are some movies coming up that I'm very excited about seeing.

1.  The Devil Inside

This was one of the trailers that came on before PA3 and there are parts of it that were as scary, if not scarier, than PA3 was.  I love possession/exorcism movies, when they're well made.  This looks like it could be one of the well-made ones.  Of course, I've fallen for that trick before, but I'm still going to give this one a shot because... I mean DAMN that trailer is creepy!

2.  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I watched the original Swedish versions of the "Millennium" series which were released in 2009 and 2010 and they were excellent.  In my opinion, they were done well enough that they didn't really need an American remaking, but I get that a lot of American moviegoers will never see the original Swedish versions because they don't like subtitles.  However, what really got me excited about seeing this particular remake is that David Fincher is directing and I'm a big fan of his.  I suppose the remake of "Let the Right One In", simply titled "Let Me In" wasn't bad, so I'm inclined to give this one a day in court as well.  Certainly it's going to be a much better remake than the new "Footloose"...

3.  Avengers

I'm excited about this movie for a number of reasons.  One, it doesn't have Ryan Reynolds in it.  Two, it has Iron Man and Scarlett Johansen in it.  Three, I liked Thor as well and, while I haven't seen Captain America yet, I have heard that it's also good, so I'm pumped about seeing this one.  On the negative side, I wish Edward Norton would have reprised his role as the Hulk instead of yet another new dude, but apparently that role was never meant to be played by the same actor in two different films.  At any rate, this movie promises to deliver, so I'm excited to see it.

4.  A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas

I loved the first two movies, although I was pretty surprised that two ancillary characters from American Pie would end up having a film franchise that would stay funnier longer than the huge movie they spun off of, but if this third installment is anywhere near as good as the last two, then they will have lasted exactly one movie longer than American Pie did before it jumped the shark.  This movie looks like it's going to deliver the same crude, stoned and titty-filled humor that made the last two movies so great, plus NPH!  Neil Patrick Harris becoming this outrageous, over the top misogynist maniac was the greatest random cameo turned recurring character in the history of modern film.  The only thing better than that would be Zombieland 2 where Bill Murray comes back as an actual zombie.

5.  Chronicle


This looks like it could be a surprise hit or a big dud, but I'm leaning towards the former.  From the trailer, it's the story of 3 high school kids who happen upon an extraterrestrial object and soon begin to display extraordinary powers.  One of the 3 boys starts becoming increasingly sinister in his use of his abilities, leading to a massive confrontation with not only his two other gifted friends, but the military as well.  Cool special effects, an interesting premise and an engaging trailer all has me wanting to see this when it comes out, I just hope that's not all there is to this movie, because it definitely looks promising.



No comments:

Post a Comment